Growing Literacy in Oregon
The mission of the Oregon State Literacy Association (OSLA) is to be a driving force for the development of literacy in our schools and communities and to foster a lifelong love of reading.
Patricia Gallagher Award Process
1. Check out the set of five nominated books from your local council.
2. Students each vote for their one favorite title. Each student's vote is reported, as this is not a class vote. Voting takes place between Sept. 1st and April 30th.
3. Report your votes to Mickie French at firstname.lastname@example.org by May 1st. Please email the total votes for each title, the school and grade level(s) that voted.
For printable information click here:
For Ballots click here:
Children across Oregon voted for their favorite children's book. This year we received 7923 votes for the Gallagher books.
The winner is Help Me, Mr. Mutt with 3242 votes!
Circus Ship received 1640 votes
Helen's Big World received 1590 votes
Pele received 1137 votes
If You Love Honey received 314 votes
Learn more about the books & award
Local Councils Give "Celebrate Literacy" Award
Every year, local OSLA councils honor teachers, organizations, and others with the International Literacy Association sponsored "Celebrate Literacy" Award to honor contributions to literacy around our state.
The ORacle is the digital publication of OSLA. In addition to updates from our local councils, every issue features articles written by professors and professionals from around the state. Check out the new edition for articles about:
- Academic language
- English Language Learners
- Secondary Reading
- What's new in children's and YA literature
- New member lending library books
"OSLA strives to be a part of the development of world-wide efforts to educate every individual to live a life informed by the great ideas available through reading."
Read the new President's Message from OSLA Carol Lauritzen to learn more about ILA's Children's Rights to Read and pledge your support for #RightsToRead.
There are now three ways you can support OSLA with BottleDrop:
1. Transfer refunds from your account.
2. Purchase fundraiser bags instead of your typical green bags.
3. Help your local council fill bags.
Over $3000 in grants for literacy projects awarded!
Funds will support projects across the state to build up libraries and book clubs, support learning about women in STEM, promote diversity, & more.
See the Winners & Read about the projects